This recipe is a savory version of the classic French clafoutis, an egg-rich gratin of tart cherries. This bake makes a quick and easy summer lunch when cherry tomatoes are sweet and aromatic and juicy herbs abound. Tastes great with a lightly tossed green salad and crusty wholegrain sourdough bread. Serves 4.
(Recipe from: Zest for Life, The Mediterranean Anti-Cancer Diet.)
- 15oz/400g cherry tomatoes, washed and patted dry
- 7oz/200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp basil pesto (preferably prepared with olive oil)
- 12fl oz/1½ cups/350ml unsweetened almond or soy milk
- large pinch of turmeric (to taste)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives or basil leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- some olive oil for the pie dish
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
Oil oven-proof ceramic dish and place cherry tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese in it.
In a bowl, whisk corn starch with milk and eggs. Add the pesto, chopped herbs and turmeric and combine into a smooth, creamy batter. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour egg mixture gently over tomatoes and feta cheese and slide the pie dish into the oven. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. The clafoutis is ready when the custard has risen and is a golden color.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining herbs and serve immediately.
This You Tube video shows me making Cherry Tomato clafoutis: