- I believe strongly that it is our responsibility as physicians to help our patients understand the negative impact of these chemicals and help them reduce their exposure.
Homework Assignment: Reduce Your Toxic Burden
- Take one week to go through all of your personal care products and exchange the unsafe ones with more healthful alternatives
- Formaldehyde releasing agents
What’s In This Product?
- So, how do you know if your products contain toxic ingredients? There are two fantastic resources I highly recommend:
- ThinkDirty is my new favorite app for learning about the safety of thousands of personal care products. You can even scan the bar codes on product labels to access the database of products.
- Another fantastic resource is Skin Deep, the online cosmetics safety database created by the Environmental Working Group. This searchable database includes more than 78,000 personal care products.
- Do you want expert help in selecting safe personal care products?
- I often recommend to many patients and survivors that they seek out an esthetician with expertise in working with cancer patients and survivors, as they can help you make informed choices on personal care products. Find one here.
- If you like to go to the spa, read our previous article on What Cancer Patients And Survivors Need To Know Before Going To A Spa.
Environmental Defense Canada Toxic Ten
David Suzuki Foundation Dirty Dozen
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety
Environment Canada Domestic Substance List
National Library of Medicine PubMed Studies
US Food and Drug Administration
Breast Cancer Fund Chemicals Linked to Breast Cancer
Organic Consumer Association Top 10 to avoid
Center for Environmental Health
Cornell University Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Ractors
Animal Derived Ingredients on PETA Beauty without Bunnies
CHE Toxicant and Disease Database
Proposition 65 The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986
Center for Disease Control Registry of Toxic Chemicals
Cosmetic Ingredient Review Assessment
European Union Health Commission CosIng (Cosmetics Ingredients & Substances)