Dr. Lawenda recommends periodic testing of GI microbiome health (microbial DNA assay), inflammation and leaky gut status, and adequacy of digestive enzymes. These issues can lead to a host of downstream effects that can promote cancer progression and other chronic health conditions (i.e. insulin resistance, cardiovascular disease, impaired immunity, cognitive/memory/mood issues, etc).
There are many potential factors involved in creating intestinal dysbiosis, GI inflammation and leaky gut (see figure, above). Since these issues are often not associated with obvious gut-related symptoms, they can persist for months-to-years and negatively impact both intestinal and systemic-wide health.
If abnormalities are identified on testing, subsequent investigations and management will be recommended to get to correct or minimize the root cause(s).
The Gastrointestinal Microbial Assay Plus (GI-MAP) is an innovative clinical tool that measures gastrointestinal microbiota DNA from a single stool sample with state of the art, quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR or real-time PCR) technology. The GI-MAP measures opportunistic organisms, normal flora, fungi, parasites and antibiotic resistance genes. The Plus refers to immunologic markers for GI health and function including SIgA, Elastase, Calprotectin and Anti-gliadin testing.
- DNA/PCR assay for GI pathogens, opportunistic organisms, normal flora, and markers of GI health including: bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi.
- Tests for inflammation, immune function, pancreatic function.
- Test for occult blood and zonulin, which is a protein modulator of intestinal tight junctions that is used to assess intestinal permeability.
Turnaround time for results is 10-12 business days from the time your specimen is received.
All Orders Receive:
- Test kit shipped directly to the address provided.
- Step-by-step test collection instructions.
- Email support from IOE Program within 24 hours to confirm shipping address.
- Prepaid FedEx shipping label for the submission of a sample.
- Written report that summaries all test findings emailed to you as a PDF file.
- The option to receive additional insight into these findings by Dr. Lawenda.
Why Is This Test Important?
The GI-MAP Stool test detects a comprehensive list of stool bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites that inhabit the human body. It includes detailed information about all tested pathogens inside the body, describes the nature and impact of organisms found in the microbiome, and includes specific recommendations related to dysbiosis and intestinal health. The test is critical for anyone hoping to achieve optimal health.