My name is Dr. Brian Lawenda, and I am one of only a handful of physicians in the United States who is a Radiation Oncologist, Integrative Oncologist and Medical Acupuncturist. I am the Medical Director for the Northwest Cancer Clinic/21st Century Oncology, in Kennewick, Washington.
On January 1, 2009, I launched IntegrativeOncology-Essentials as a means of sharing up to date “Integrative Oncology” news, information and resources with patients. I hope that this content is helpful to anyone living with or beyond a diagnosis of cancer.
My Practice Location:
I love what I do, as I get to practice a combination of radiation oncology, integrative oncology and medical acupuncture. I am the National Director of Integrative Oncology and Cancer Survivorship for 21st Century Oncology. I hold academic appointments as a Clinical Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, NV. I am a member of the Board of Trustees of the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, and recently served as a member of the Board of the Society for Integrative Oncology.
I proudly and honorably served in the U.S. Navy, for 13 years, from 1997-2010, achieving the rank of Commander. While in the Navy, I held multiple positions: Clinical Director of the Radiation Oncology Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Department Head of the Breast Health Center, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences at the Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD. Additionally, I also maintained a radiation oncology position, from 2009-2010, with Oncology Therapies of Vista and CyberKnife of Southern California. From 2010-2016, I was the Clinical Director of 21st Century Oncology, in Las Vegas.
I graduated from Temple University School of Medicine, in Philadelphia, where I was elected to the membership of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. I completed an internship in General Surgery with the Naval Medical Center San Diego, and later served my residency in Radiation Oncology at the Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, in Boston, where I was appointed Chief Resident of the Harvard Combined Radiation Oncology Program.
Following my residency training, I studied Medical Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine through a program sponsored by UCLA and Stanford University Helms Medical Institute. While at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, I started a busy acupuncture clinic, treating a variety of patients including Sailors, Marines, SEALS, cancer patients and survivors, pediatric patients, our “Wounded Warriors” and many others.
Some of the recognitions and awards I have received along the way have included: First Place, Academic Research Award Recipient (Naval Medical Center San Diego); ASCO Foundation Merit Award recipient; Radiological Society of North America, Roentgen Resident Research Award recipient (Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School); Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (Temple University School of Medicine); Research grant recipient (Harvard Medical School, Osher Institute of Complementary and Alternative Medicine.)
- 2014, 2015, 2016 “America’s Top Doctors” Castle & Connolly
- 2014, 2015, 2016 “Top Doctor” Vegas Seven magazine
- 2013 & 2015 “Top Radiation Oncologist In The Nation”, Top Doctor Competition, HealthTap
- 2014 & 2015 “Top Doctor” VEGAS INC HealthCare Quarterly magazine
- 2013 & 2014 “Medical Marvel” Nevada Business Magazine
- 2013 “Excellence in Physician Care” Healthcare Headliner award, VEGAS INC magazine
- 2012 & 2013 “Top Doctor” Las Vegas Life magazine
- 2013 “Man Of The Year” nominee, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- 2012 “Superb” rating, 10 out of 10, Avvo Ratings
- 2012 “Top Doctor” US News & World Reports
Featured in the Media/Buzz
Recent Blog Posts
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses Cancer Pain Management
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses A Better Way To Choose Cancer Drugs
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses The Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Cancer Diet
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses How Inflammation Fuels Cancers and Chronic Diseases
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses The Use Of Natural And Complementary Therapies In Cancer Care
- A Non-Invasive Painless Skin Cancer Treatment
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses What To Do When Treatments Are Not Working
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses Cancer Screening Controversies
- Why Oncology Expertise Matters in Complementary and Supportive Care Providers
- Dr. Lawenda Discusses Toxic Chemicals In Our Daily Lives