Dr. Brian Lawenda is a U.S. News & World Report “Top Doctor” in radiation oncology, and is an expert in integrative oncology and functional medicine. He is the Medical Director for the Northwest Cancer Clinic/GenesisCare, in Kennewick, Washington and Hermiston, Oregon.
On January 1, 2009, he launched IntegrativeOncology-Essentials as a means of sharing up to date “Integrative Oncology” news, information and resources with patients. Dr. Lawenda is also the founder of IOEProgram.com, an online educational course covering many of the topics patients need to know before, during and after cancer treatment.
My Practice Locations:
- Northwest Cancer Clinic/GenesisCare, Kennewick, Washington
- Northwest Cancer Clinic/GenesisCare, Hermiston, Oregon
I love what I do, as I get to practice a combination of radiation oncology, integrative oncology, functional medicine and medical acupuncture. I hold academic appointments as Adjunct Clinical Faculty for Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, Washington State University and Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences.
I proudly and honorably served in the U.S. Navy, for 13 years, from 1997-2010, achieving the rank of Commander. While in the Navy, I held multiple positions: Clinical Director of the Radiation Oncology Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Department Head of the Breast Health Center, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences at the Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD. Additionally, I also maintained a radiation oncology position, from 2009-2010, with Oncology Therapies of Vista and CyberKnife of Southern California. From 2010-2016, I was the Clinical Director of 21st Century Oncology, in Las Vegas.
I graduated from Temple University School of Medicine, in Philadelphia, where I was elected to the membership of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. I completed an internship in General Surgery with the Naval Medical Center San Diego, and later served my residency in Radiation Oncology at the Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, in Boston, where I was appointed Chief Resident of the Harvard Combined Radiation Oncology Program.
Following my residency training, I studied Medical Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine through a program sponsored by UCLA and Stanford University Helms Medical Institute. While at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, I started a busy acupuncture clinic, treating a variety of patients including Sailors, Marines, SEALS, cancer patients and survivors, pediatric patients, our “Wounded Warriors” and many others. Additionally, I completed the Kalish Institute Functional Medicine Program, in 2014.
Some of the recognitions and awards I have received along the way have included: First Place, Academic Research Award Recipient (Naval Medical Center San Diego); ASCO Foundation Merit Award recipient; Radiological Society of North America, Roentgen Resident Research Award recipient (Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School); Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (Temple University School of Medicine); Research grant recipient (Harvard Medical School, Osher Institute of Complementary and Alternative Medicine.)
- 2014-2021 “America’s Top Doctors” Castle & Connolly
- 2012-2021 “Top Doctor” US News & World Reports
- 2014-2016 “Top Doctor” Vegas Seven magazine
- 2013 & 2015 “Top Radiation Oncologist In The Nation”, Top Doctor Competition, HealthTap
- 2014 & 2015 “Top Doctor” VEGAS INC HealthCare Quarterly magazine
- 2013 & 2014 “Medical Marvel” Nevada Business Magazine
- 2013 “Excellence in Physician Care” Healthcare Headliner award, VEGAS INC magazine
- 2012 & 2013 “Top Doctor” Las Vegas Life magazine
- 2013 “Man Of The Year” nominee, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- 2012 “Superb” rating, 10 out of 10, Avvo Ratings
Featured in the Media/Buzz:
Recent Blog Posts:
- Optimizing Your Immune System
- Get Screened For Colorectal Cancer
- Many Cancer Patients Are Intentionally Using Off-Label Drugs and Supplements (2021 update)
- Cancer Cells are the Seeds and the Body is the Soil
- Dr. Lawenda’s DIY Radiation Esophagitis Elixir
- My Approach to Intermittent Fasting for Health Optimization
- My Functional Medicine Approach in Oncology
- Natural Radiation and Chemotherapy Enhancers
- Dr. Lawenda’s DIY Radiation Skin Protection Spray
- Optimized Health Composite Score and Consulting