My name is Dr. Brian Lawenda, and I am one of only a handful of physicians in the United States who is a Radiation Oncologist, Integrative Oncologist, Functional Medicine Practitioner and Medical Acupuncturist. I am the Medical Director for the Northwest Cancer Clinic/21st Century Oncology, in Kennewick, Washington.
On January 1, 2009, I launched IntegrativeOncology-Essentials as a means of sharing up to date “Integrative Oncology” news, information and resources with patients. I hope that this content is helpful to anyone living with or beyond a diagnosis of cancer. Dr. Lawenda is also the founder of IOEProgram.com, an online educational course covering many of the topics patients need to know before, during and after cancer treatment.
My Practice Location:
I love what I do, as I get to practice a combination of radiation oncology, integrative oncology, functional medicine and medical acupuncture. I am the National Director of Integrative Oncology and Cancer Survivorship for 21st Century Oncology. I hold academic appointments as Adjunct Clinical Faculty for Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, Washington State University and Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences.
I proudly and honorably served in the U.S. Navy, for 13 years, from 1997-2010, achieving the rank of Commander. While in the Navy, I held multiple positions: Clinical Director of the Radiation Oncology Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Department Head of the Breast Health Center, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences at the Uniformed University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD. Additionally, I also maintained a radiation oncology position, from 2009-2010, with Oncology Therapies of Vista and CyberKnife of Southern California. From 2010-2016, I was the Clinical Director of 21st Century Oncology, in Las Vegas.
I graduated from Temple University School of Medicine, in Philadelphia, where I was elected to the membership of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. I completed an internship in General Surgery with the Naval Medical Center San Diego, and later served my residency in Radiation Oncology at the Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, in Boston, where I was appointed Chief Resident of the Harvard Combined Radiation Oncology Program.
Following my residency training, I studied Medical Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine through a program sponsored by UCLA and Stanford University Helms Medical Institute. While at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, I started a busy acupuncture clinic, treating a variety of patients including Sailors, Marines, SEALS, cancer patients and survivors, pediatric patients, our “Wounded Warriors” and many others. Additionally, I completed the Kalish Institute Functional Medicine Program, in 2014.
Some of the recognitions and awards I have received along the way have included: First Place, Academic Research Award Recipient (Naval Medical Center San Diego); ASCO Foundation Merit Award recipient; Radiological Society of North America, Roentgen Resident Research Award recipient (Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School); Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (Temple University School of Medicine); Research grant recipient (Harvard Medical School, Osher Institute of Complementary and Alternative Medicine.)
- 2014-2020 “America’s Top Doctors” Castle & Connolly
- 2012-2020 “Top Doctor” US News & World Reports
- 2014-2016 “Top Doctor” Vegas Seven magazine
- 2013 & 2015 “Top Radiation Oncologist In The Nation”, Top Doctor Competition, HealthTap
- 2014 & 2015 “Top Doctor” VEGAS INC HealthCare Quarterly magazine
- 2013 & 2014 “Medical Marvel” Nevada Business Magazine
- 2013 “Excellence in Physician Care” Healthcare Headliner award, VEGAS INC magazine
- 2012 & 2013 “Top Doctor” Las Vegas Life magazine
- 2013 “Man Of The Year” nominee, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- 2012 “Superb” rating, 10 out of 10, Avvo Ratings
Featured in the Media/Buzz:
Recent Blog Posts:
- Immune Support Supplements
- Treating Prostate Cancer
- Who Should Consider Genetic Testing For Hereditary Mutations?
- Why You Need To Know About Functional Drug Sensitivity Testing
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Dr. Lawenda’s 2020 Perspective on Vitamin C in Cancer Care
- Are You Reducing Your Cancer Cell Glucose Metabolism? (AntiCancer Glucose Score)
- How AntiCancer Are You? (Simple Online Calculator)
- Lymphedema After Cancer Treatment
- Why Micronutrient Testing is Important for Cancer Patients and Survivors